The Compendio histórico, third in a series of volumes treating the historical development of the Diocese of Querétaro, was issued to commemorate the jurisdiction’s centenary celebrations. The text, originally prepared by Vicente Acosta in the late 1920’s, was revised and updated by Canon Cesareo Munguia.
This particular monograph traces the origin and growth of the “Congregation of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the City of Santiago de Querétaro.” From a canonical point of view, the congregation in question is more akin to a Pious Association than a Religious Community and is devoted exclusively to fostering devotion to the Virgin Mary under her title of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Originally founded on January 10, 1609, by Don Lucas Guerrero y Rodea, the Congregation received its official confirmation and approval from the Holy See on September 5, 1691, when Pope Innocent XII issued the papal bull Pietatis et Caritatis Opera. The Congregation suffered its share of problems over the years. Opposed by the Franciscans, who “forbade the devotion and afterwards tried to impede the celebration of the Saturday services,” the Association managed to grow into one of the most important and influential organizations in all of Mexico.
Historically, the Diocese of Querétaro has consistently exerted great strength in Catholic growth throughout New Spain. The diocese received juridical autonomy in 1862 when it was detached from Mexico City by Pius IX and is now a suffragan see of the Metropolitan Province of Morelia. Within the city there once flourished the famous Apostolic College of Santa Cruz which Innocent XI called the “greatest influence for the propagation of the Faith in the Indies.” It is as one important and vital aspect of the overall diocesan expansion that the subject of this volume receives its true value.